Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chapter 11 & 12 Reflection

 
           Cole wakes up with the spirit bear towering over him. Expecting to die, Cole at least wants to touch the creature that is going to kill him. He reaches up and feels the bear’s soft fur, then his warm, solid body. He feels something else that he can’t explain - trust. For once in his life, Cole has established trust with someone. Cole also realizes that there is beauty in the world; you just have to stop and look. At the end of the chapter Cole is about to cross the line between life and death when Edwin and Garvey find him and rush him back to the mainland to get taken care of.
            People get angry for many reasons. One time I got angry because I was tired and everyone was telling me what to do. My house was loud and obnoxious; I got so frustrated I had to go outside for some peace and quiet. I think this happens to Cole sometimes, only he doesn’t have a safe place to go and calm down. Instead he takes his anger and frustration out on other people.
            Everyone has a right to express themselves as they see fit, as long as it doesn’t negatively impact anyone else.  Everyone also has a right to their own opinion. I personally agree that actions speak louder than words, “anger is a memory never forgotten”, it's not important what others think and kids whose parents mistreat them will probably, in turn, mistreat their own kids. Something that I don’t agree with is that people never change.
            I don’t agree with this because people can change. A traumatic experience can often turn someone’s thinking around, so that they view the world in a different way. People can also learn from their mistakes and change. For example, when I annoy my older brother too much he gets mad at me.  So I learned from my mistake and I only annoy him to the point just before he gets really mad.  I think people can change and it’s a good thing we have the capacity to learn from our mistakes.